Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Chokehold of Facebook

TOPIC: Facebook

SOURCE: Everyday Facebooking.

RELATION: I found that Facebook could relate a lot to this week's topic: Globalization, as well as localization. With Facebook becoming such a huge phenomenon around the world, it has changed the many ways in which we communicate with other people in our lives. 

Description: One day last week I was surfing the Facebook news feed when I came to ask myself, How many times a day do I do this? And how many times do I actually talk to the people that are my friends on Facebook? The first reality is that I go on Facebook several times a day, but usually only because I am bored and it is something that keeps me entertained for a while. And secondly, I don't talk to half of my friends on Facebook, actually more like 1/4 of them! The truth is it would be impossible to talk to all of those people and we wouldn't have anything to relate to half of the time anyway. I usually only talk to my good friends from back home or the people that are currently the most relevant in my life, hence, people I currently go to school with or hang out with.

Commentary/Analysis:  Although Facebook is definitely a product of globalization, it has also manifested in many ways in the local spectrum. First, it has changed the way that many people communicate in their daily lives. Commenting on posts or pictures is a new way of communicating. Advertising on Facebook is also a completely new way to reach consumers. It is also not as personal as having a face to face intimate conversation with a friend you haven't seen in a while. Facebook almost acts as a substitute for having to meet in person. Although people still maintain many of their relationships outside of Facebook, it has changed the context of where we first hear information nowadays as well. People rarely find out first hand or through a phone call when a person is engaged, married, or pregnant: they find out through Facebook. Facebook is a global phenomenon but is also locally maintained, as it has many different languages that people can use to better communicate with people around them. Facebook does not change the cultural norms or languages people use to communicate but acts as a way to brings people together in a single place. Good or bad aspects put aside, Facebook has changed our generation's way of doing things. 

1 comment:

  1. The words you speak throughout this excerpt are ever so true, when I use face book their is rarely a good reason. I found myself continually going back though, it feels like the modern my-space, yet more advanced in the ways you can communicate with others. On the other hand I never even gave thought as too company's advertisements and how they impact people subconsciously. It is amazing, and all because face book is more savvy, if I were to break my phone, I could still communicate with people mobile, if they receive texts through face book. It shows how technology has impacted society today, as opposed to five to ten years ago. anyways really good job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete