Tuesday, April 17, 2012



TOPIC: Ideal Family Forms

SOURCE: My personal family life and and extended family.

RELATION: The Robbins texts states that there are two different types of families, the family of orientation which consists of a father, mother, self, and siblings. The other kind of family Robbins mentions is that of the family of procreation which consists of a husband, wife, and their children.

DESCRIPTION: I grew up with my family of procreation which consisted of my mother and father (who were married), my two brothers, and I. Although I do fit this label of a family, my family dynamics have changed very much since my fathers death. We are now a single parent home and my mother is a single mother. To her, it has been a lot of work having to take over another family role of the father. I have a couple friends who have grown up without one parent and they claim that their single parent acted as both the mother an the father. I can definitely see where they are coming from now since my father's passing. In my culture, it is important to recognized extended family as close family. My aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents are all considered close family to me. And since I never had any sisters, I consider all of my girls cousins to be sisters. As my father would say, "Son tus primas-hermanas", which means, "They are your cousin-sisters". I took this to heart and am still very close with my girl cousins till this day. Another family and Latin cultural tradition is respecting elders in the family and also outside of the family. Elders are respected and valued in my culture because they have so much knowledge, wisdom, and life experience.

COMMENTARY/ANALYSIS: Although my immediate family consists of my mother and my two brothers, I also consider my extended family very close. I believe that the family composition varies from family to family and the different beliefs and values they hold.

 

4 comments:

  1. I love your example of families of procreation because it is similar to mine and very different at the same time. My family orientation is that of procreation, but it consists of only daughters, my mother and my father. Also, you make a good point that family composition varies from family to family and depends on values and beliefs of that family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is interestingly distinct, personal, as well as informative, it gives your blog a spark. I love how you used your past and family lineage to describe the topic of families of procreation, In accord with what you say about single parent families, it does burden to carry the role of your spouse, One of my best friends went through similar struggles as his mother was left to fill in the role of the fathers influence as well as her own. It was obvious to see how this misfortune struck, yet uplifting to see that they got through it together.Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the personal nature of your post. I find it most interesting because I can not really relate. I grew up as basically an only child in a little secluded nuclear family. My father's family although relatively close distance wise never once visited because of family feuding. My mother's family lives mainly in the Philippines although I have a much beloved aunt in Oregon.Oddly enough, I am closer with these relatives whom I have only seen once or twice in my life. Thanks to facebook and email we keep close tabs on each others lives. I also have an adopted stepsister who I never really saw growing up due again to my fathers feuding with her mother. It was not until I went away to college that I was able to connect with her, my brother-in-law, and new nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I am sorry to hear about your loss. I found it interesting how you have been able to see the change in the family dynamics first hand. I wish that my cousins and I were close because they are family and I am glad you can call them your sisters. I am close with my mothers eldest brother but for her other 4 siblings I am not very close with them or their families but that may be due to the fact that they live across the country and we do not make a huge effort to see one another.

    ReplyDelete